Follow us on Twitter!

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Quillin-Wright Back on for 5/26; Kid Chocolate Speaks

 
By Ryan Maquiñana
BoxingScene.com

Unbeaten middleweight contender Peter “Kid Chocolate” Quillin’s clash with Winky Wright has been finally set for May 26.

The bout will take place as the Showtime-televised co-feature to the main event of Antonio Tarver vs. Lateef Kayode.  The venue has yet to be determined, as California, Florida, and even Texas have been discussed.

“I’ve only been in training for a week and a half in Hollywood at Wild Card [Boxing Club] and I’ve already sparred over 10 rounds,” the 28-year-old Quillin (26-0, 20 KOs) told BoxingScene.com.  “When fight night comes, I’ll be ready to show people why I’m at where I’m at, and that I deserve the big fights to come my way.”

Originally, “Kid Chocolate” was slated to meet Wright (51-5-1, 25 KOs), a former undisputed junior middleweight champion, on the May 5 Miguel Cotto-Floyd Mayweather pay-per-view undercard. 

Now the native of Grand Rapids, Michigan, seems to have landed on his feet, likely with the help of the new member on his team.

“Everything’s set in play,” Quillin said.  “Al Haymon is working with me as far as my advisor now, so that shows you the power he’s got.”

Quillin is coming off an impressive sixth-round stoppage of Craig McEwan on HBO last November.  He stressed the importance of consistently honing his craft and pointed to a couple of changes in his lifestyle.

“I just got a tattoo on my left shin of the bonsai tree,” Quillin said.  “It symbolizes the tranquility in my life and showing growth as a human being.  For that matter, I gave up drinking. 

“I like to have fun, but it definitely has an effect on a professional fighter.  When you drink, you might not always be ready to give your best in the gym the next day, so I gave it up.  I want to be a powerhouse nonstop.”

Meanwhile, the 40-year-old Wright hasn’t fought in almost three years, with the last bout a wide decision loss to Paul Williams.  Undoubtedly one of the best southpaw stylists of this era, the questions for this fight are whether the pride of St. Petersburg, Fla., has anything left in the tank, and Quillin’s ability to penetrate Wright’s guard.

“I’ve been keeping my weight down to 172 pounds so far,” said Quillin, who is working with trainer Eric Brown.  “Of course, when I fight Winky, I have to keep my volume up.  But I’m not just the type of fighter who just throws a bunch of punches just to throw them.  Whatever punches I put on his ass got to come with something so he feels them.”

The news of the May 26 date was initially reported by Steve Kim of MaxBoxing.

Ryan Maquiñana writes a weekly column for Comcast SportsNet Bay Area (CSNBayArea.com). He’s also a member of the Boxing Writers Association of America and Ring Magazine’s Ratings Panel. E-mail him at rmaquinana@gmail.com, check out his blog at norcalboxing.net or follow him on Twitter: @RMaq28.

READ MORE: http://www.boxingscene.com/quillin-discusses-rescheduled-showdown-with-wright--50614

No comments:

Post a Comment