Follow us on Twitter!

Friday, February 24, 2012

My Latest for CSN (with Video): Eloy Perez Has Major 'Problem' to Solve

By Ryan Maquiñana
CSNBayArea.com


A pro boxer’s occupation requires taking a leap of faith more often than not.

For Eloy Perez Jr., his pivotal jump was four years ago, when elevating his unpolished skills to another level meant having to leave his hometown of Rochester, Wash., to learn the finer points of the sweet science from the Garcia family in Salinas.

“It was one of the toughest choices of my life,” the 25-year-old Perez said. “When I was coming up as an amateur, the local pros in Washington would tell me that everyone’s a snake. Plus, I’d have to be away from my girlfriend at the time, who’s now my wife. But I put my trust in the Garcias, and I never thought I’d make it here, but thanks to them, here I am. It’s all been a blessing.”

Now it’s the Garcias’ turn to stand by their man this Saturday at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis, where Perez (23-0-2, 7 KOs) enters his first 12-round world title bout against WBO junior lightweight champ Adrien “The Problem” Broner (22-0, 18 KOs) as a substantial underdog (HBO, 7 p.m.).

READ MORE: http://tinyurl.com/perezbroner

No comments:

Post a Comment