Follow us on Twitter!

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Fairfield’s Avila Injures Back, Off Woodland Card

By Ryan Maquiñana
Norcalboxing.net 

Avila (left) has pulled out of a May 12 fight in Woodland. (Stephanie Trapp)

Unbeaten junior featherweight Manuel “Tino” Avila has pulled out of the May 12 card in Woodland due after sustaining injuries from a car accident.

“It actually happened a month ago, but I kept it quiet to see if I could recover in time for the show,” Avila (7-0, 2 KOs) said. “I was driving on the street, and when I stopped, some girl in a Dodge Truck was texting while driving and rear-ended my Honda Civic. Then that pushed me into a [GMC] Yukon.”

The 20-year-old prospect from Fairfield sustained injuries to his neck, elbow, and back.  Everything has subsided except his lingering back pain, which has effectively forced him off a televised co-feature against St. Louis native Jamal Parram (5-4-1, 4 KOs), a former sparring partner of Nonito Donaire in San Carlos.

“I was really looking forward to fighting in front of the fans here again,” Avila said. “At the same time, I have a lot to lose, and this early in my career, I don’t want to fight if I’m not 100 percent. I’m doing physical therapy every day, and if I still don’t feel better by May, I’m going to see a doctor in L.A.”

A likely return for the Golden Boy-promoted Avila would be on the undercard of the recently announced June 23 rematch in Los Angeles between Victor Ortiz and Andre Berto.

Boxing correspondent Ryan Maquiñana is a member of the Boxing Writers Association of America and Ring Magazine’s Ratings Panel. E-mail him at rmaquinana@gmail.com, check out his blog at Norcalboxing.net, or follow him on Twitter: @RMaq28.
 

*This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to Norcalboxing.net or provide a link to the original article.

No comments:

Post a Comment