Follow us on Twitter!

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Selcuk Aydin Promises to Put Robert Guerrero to Sleep

Arena-Box Promotions
Press Release


WBC Silver world welterweight champion Selcuk Aydin held a press conference at the Ciragan Palace Kempinski hotel in Istanbul, Turkey, to talk about his July 28th world championship bout against Robert "The Ghost" Guerrero at San Jose's HP Pavilion.

"I have waited for three years for a big fight and I am very happy that I finally get the chance to show the world what I’m made of on July 28th", said Aydin. "I always said that I would fight anybody. Unfortunately, that doesn’t count for a lot of fighters these days which is the main reason why I couldn’t get a big fight over the past years.

"I give props to Robert Guerrero for accepting to fight me. He is a three-division world champion and very obviously an excellent boxer. But he has just no idea what’s coming for him. He has never been in the ring with anybody as determined, powerful and heavy-handed as me. I will do what I have to do to take the world championship belt home to Turkey."

Added promoter Ahmet Oner: "We have been working very hard to get this fight on the way. Now it’s all in Selcuk’s hands. This is a very special moment and a once in a lifetime opportunity. No Turkish boxer has ever had such an important and big fight in the USA. It’s Selcuk’s chance to make himself a big name all over the world.

"Of course, especially after last weekend I am a little bit worried about the scoring of the bout. I just hope that we will have neutral officials. But then again Selcuk knows exactly that it’s always hard to win a decision in your opponent’s backyard. I am pretty sure that he will not try to steal rounds – he will go for the KO because the only thing on his mind is winning this fight!"

Aydin already started training camp in Stuttgart (Germany) five weeks ago where he is working with champion coach Conny Mittermeier. At the end of June he will move camp to California to get adjusted to the time change and weather conditions.

"This fight is so important that we cannot take any chances or make any mistakes", says Oner. "We have to make sure that Selcuk has the best training camp and preparation possible because he needs to be in the best possible shape when he steps into the ring."

Aydin himself, a former WBC international and European champion, is sure that he will take home the victory: "So far training camp is excellent. I feel that I am already in great shape and I will clearly have no weight issues whatsoever. I heard that Robert Guerrero already talks about possible fights with Juan Manuel Marquez and Floyd Mayweather.

"He can dream about all these big fights as long as he wants to – I will even help him by sending him to sleep so he can dream a little more. I respect Guerrero for all he has done and achieved so far but his way ends on July 28th in San Jose. I suggest he goes back to light- or featherweight and leaves the big guys to someone who can actually handle them."

Tickets, priced at $252, $127, $62 and $26, are available for purchase at the HP Pavilion box office, by calling 1-800-745-3000 or online at www.ticketmaster.com. 

No comments:

Post a Comment