Follow us on Twitter!

Monday, August 1, 2011

S.F.'s LaRon Mitchell Stays Alive on Tiebreaker in Round Two of Olympic Trials

S.F.'s LaRon Mitchell (far right) poses with his corner

MOBILE, AL -- Super heavyweight LaRon Mitchell of San Francisco's Ring of Fire Gym got back on track in the Olympic Trials with a slim victory over Donovan Dennis of Davenport, Iowa.

With both southpaws having already incurred a defeat in yesterday's opening bouts, today's loser would have to pack his bags for home in the double-elimination tournament. Unfortunately for Dennis, that would become his fate as he drew 16-16 with Mitchell, only to succumb based on the tiebreaker of punches counted (84-79).

"It was a slugfest, plain and simple," Mitchell said. "We were hitting each other with some good shots. He got me a couple times, especially when my headgear went over my eyes, but I had my moments when I hit him square to the body and stopped him in his tracks."

Mitchell re-aggravated an injury to his right shoulder that forced him to pull out of the gold medal bout in last month's U.S. Nationals, but after a physician's postfight examination, was cleared to fight tomorrow against Brett Rather of Las Vegas.

"The shoulder is fine now, but I had to talk to the doctor first to get the news on it," Mitchell added. "I'm not sure who I'm facing, but I'll be ready to go tomorrow, no matter who it is. It's all on the line now."

Whoever comes out of that bout victorious faces the winner of St. Paul's Jonathan Hamm and Anaheim's Dominic Breazeale in the semifinals.

No comments:

Post a Comment