Follow us on Twitter!

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

San Jose’s Correa ‘Shocks’ Byrd, Advances to Olympic Trials Finals!

Correa (left) interviewed by Ryan Maquiñana of Comcast SportsNet Bay Area.

By Ryan Maquiñana

MOBILE, AL -- Eros Correa stared across the ring at the man who had beaten him in both their previous meetings.


Many fighters in his shoes would feel apprehensive, or worse, a sense of intimidation.


Not in this instance, as Correa surprised the crowd in attendance with a razor-thin 25-25 (132-131) victory over top-seeded Louie Byrd of Denver via the punches counted tiebreaker that sent the 18-year-old from San Jose PAL into the finals of the U.S. Olympic Trials.


“It feels great just to shock everyone,” Correa declared. “Coming over here, everyone was about him winning, but not this time.”


In their previous meeting at U.S. Nationals, the recent Overfelt High School graduate let a late lead slip through his fingers. He vowed not to fade tonight.


“It was a little different from the last time I fought him,” Correa said. “I let my hands go a little more. I learned my lesson from the last time we fought when he snuck up and scored a couple more punches in the third round. This time, I didn’t let up. I thought I won by a couple more points, but I’ll take it.”


With his sister’s father-in-law, Martin Nuñez, in his corner, Correa was able to stay even-keeled in the pressure cooker.


“Martin just said to keep him outside and to watch for his overhand right,” Correa recalled. “I kept turning and stepping back to get out of the way of it. I boxed him good.”


Now comes the waiting game. Correa gets a bye on Thursday while Byrd and Reno’s Santos Vasquez fight for the right to face the San Jose pugilist on Friday. Moreover, by virtue of winning his first three fights, Correa only needs one win to clinch gold, whereas his opponent must beat him twice to do it.


In the amateurs, a tournament like this can test one’s mental toughness in that a fighter must meet the weight requirements the morning of each bout. For Correa, the target is 108 pounds.


“I’m not eating much tonight,” he shared. “In the afternoon, I’ll eat Subway. I’m just going to run to keep my weight down, and I’ll be ready the day of the fight.”


Correa is just one win away from becoming San Jose’s first Olympic Trials winner since lightweight Louis Molina in 1932 and the first Bay Area native since Andre Ward in 2004.


Given the implications of Friday's final, conventional thinking would assume that a little anxiety could creep into a fighter's psyche. But the understated Correa has proven this week that he isn’t your conventional fighter.


“There’s no pressure,” he insisted as calmly as ever. “I know everything’s going to be alright. I’m just going to continue to fight my fight, and if I win, I win. Thanks to everyone for supporting me!”

3 comments:

  1. Good job Ryan with the coverage, but be advised that the event in Mobile, ALA has been misrepresented, the winners DO NOT automatically make the team to London!

    USA Boxing is only sending the Olympic Trials Champions to the World Championships. If they don't get qualified, then they have to win the 2012 U.S. Championships to be eligible to go to the America's Qualifier.

    GO EROS!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, boxer70. What's with the change this year? As far as I remember, it's always been tradition for the Trials winners to go to the Americas qualifier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Research time! Here is the official word from the AIBA regarding the winners of the Olympic Trials, who will head to the 2011 AIBA World Championships:

    The top ten boxers from different NOCs in each weight category (with the exception of the heavyweight and super heavyweight categories,
    where only the top six boxers will be taken), will each obtain a quota place for the London 2012 Olympic Games.

    --

    In other words, Eros has two chances to win on Friday, and THEN he must finish in the top ten at World Championships this year. If not, then the light flyweight spot on the team goes to the winner of the 2012 U.S. Nationals. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete