Follow us on Twitter!

Friday, March 15, 2013

Vasquez Discusses Majority Decision Defeat to Muriqi

By Ryan Maquiñana
Norcalboxing.net


Hercules light heavyweight Paul Vasquez, whose inspiring story was featured on CSNBayArea.com earlier this week, fought heavily favored Elvir Muriqi tooth-and-nail over eight rounds in Whippany, N.J.

However, Muriqi (40-5, 24 KOs) would emerge with his hand raised by a small margin, capturing a narrow majority decision (76-76, 77-75 twice) over the East Bay upstart.

After the fight, Vasquez (9-3-1, 3 KOs), who will donate his entire paycheck to Children's Miracle Network Hospitals, spoke to Norcalboxing.net.


ON THE DECISION:
"It was a close fight, but I knew I'd be fighting the promoter, the crowd, and the refs.  My coach was saying I won six out of eight rounds.  Someone from the [New Jersey] State Athletic Commission apologized and even the promoter came up to me and said I won the fight. But I know how it goes."

ON THE FIGHT:
"I staggered Muriqi multiple times.  His legs just wobbled in the seventh and eighth [rounds].  I hardly have any marks on my face. I didnt feel his power whatsoever.  Everytime I'd get him in the corner, the referee would stop the action and push him out of the corner, and that's when I was going to do my damage."

ON WHAT'S NEXT:
"I'm not done at all.  I'm glad I got to do some good with my cause and that a few more people know about it.  I'll head home to the Bay tomorrow, see my wife and kids, and get back in the gym soon."

Norcalboxing.net's Ryan Maquiñana is a member of the Boxing Writers Association of America and Ring Magazine’s Ratings Panel. E-mail him at rmaquinana@gmail.com, check out his weekly column for Comcast SportsNet Bay Area, his archive for BoxingScene.com, or follow him on Twitter: @RMaq28.

*This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to Norcalboxing.net or provide a link to the original article.

No comments:

Post a Comment