Follow us on Twitter!

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Garcia Wins Five-Knockdown War, Godoy Outpoints Hargraves

By Ryan Maquiñana
Norcalboxing.net

Garcia (right, with Jhonnathan Zamudio) won a thriller in San Diego.

Junior welterweight Jonathan Garcia (9-0, 7 KOs) recovered from a pair of early knockdowns--the first two of his competitive boxing career--only to floor Tijuana's Pedro Arcos (8-3, 6 KOs) three consecutive times and earn a thrilling first-round stoppage at the Four Points Sheraton in San Diego.

"I really didn't feel the first knockdown," Garcia told Norcalboxing.net.  "It was a looping right hand as I was drawing back.  He just stunned me.  The second knockdown was another looping right hand.  I recovered quick, though."

After rising to his feet for the second time, the promising prospect heard a familiar voice in trainer Jose "Pastel" Hernandez.

"My corner told me to breathe, and I did, and I was able to recover," Garcia added.  "I hit him hard with a left hook to the body, and he went down.  I could tell I hurt him really bad."

Garcia would add two more knockdowns to close the show in style.

"The second one was a right to the head, and by then, I felt confident I could knock him out," Garcia said.  "The third one was a left hook, then a right hand.  The ref stopped it immediately."

The rising 140-pounder is glad to have learned his lessons after a victory than a defeat.

"I know not to get too confident next time before the fight," Garcia said.  "I'm going to keep practicing, keep my guard up, and work hard in the gym." 

GODOY OUTPOINTS HARGRAVES IN FOUR

 Godoy (left) and Hargraves (right) gave the fans a show on the undercard.

Oscar Godoy (8-2, 3 KOs), a gymmate of Garcia's in Watsonville, sent Richard Hargraves (3-1-1, 2 KOs) to the canvas in the first round, but had to weather a spirited rally from the San Francisco native en route to a unanimous decision.

"I knocked him down in the first round with an overhand right," Godoy said.  "He threw a jab, and I threw a combination and caught him over the top right before the bell."

Hargraves, a skilled boxer and decorated former amateur, shook off the early 10-8 deficit and according to Godoy, continued to come forward and make him fight tooth-and-nail for the win.

"It was a tough fight," Godoy said.  "He kept coming.  I was trying to counter-punch him because he was trying to establish his jab, and he was definitely stronger than he was when we fought in the amateurs.  I did feel his punches.

"Even after the knockdown, I didn't want to get too wild because we knew he was a strong fighter.  If I was looking for the knockout, he might catch me, especially with the great corner he had with Ben [Bautista] coaching him."

Godoy and Hargraves have received similar treatment in the pros so far in that they have had to fight above their natural weight of 147 pounds.  With this bout taking place at a contracted 148, Godoy admitted that he would prefer to continue campaigning at welterweight.

"My opponents have been heavier than me," said Godoy, who has now won four straight.  "If I had it up to me, I'd fight at 147.  This is great for my confidence knowing I can beat real fighters.  Richard gave me a really tough fight."

Norcalboxing.net's Ryan Maquiñana is a member of the Boxing Writers Association of America and Ring Magazine’s Ratings Panel. E-mail him at rmaquinana@gmail.com, check out his weekly column for Comcast SportsNet Bay Area, his archive for BoxingScene.com, or follow him on Twitter: @RMaq28.

*This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to Norcalboxing.net or provide a link to the original article.

No comments:

Post a Comment