Follow us on Twitter!

Friday, December 2, 2011

Almaraz, Morton Ready for War at the Wharf Tonight


By Ryan Maquiñana

Maqdown.com


NOTE: For my latest article and video for Comcast SportsNet on Ricardo Pinell, who fights Keynoe Fenner in Friday’s main event, click here.


In an anticipated amateur showdown, Casey Morton (B Street Boxing, San Mateo) meets fellow featherweight Tatiana Almaraz (Old School Boxing, Concord) on the undercard of the San Francisco Winter Boxing Amateur Championships tonight at the Longshoremen’s Hall in Fisherman’s Wharf, San Francisco.


Morton, a tough-as-nails pressure fighter from San Francisco by way of Hawaii, was NorCal’s representative at U.S. Nationals in the 125-pound division this year. Her training camp was aided by the presence of world-ranked flyweight contender Melissa McMorrow and trainer Eddie Croft. Of course, the ultimate test comes tonight.


Meanwhile, Almaraz is a native of Concord who is known around Bay Area circles as a trusted sparring partner for two world champions—WBO jr. featherweight boss Ana Julaton and new IBF flyweight queen Ava Knight. With Karl Sharrock in her corner, she looks to build her own name with a memorable performance.


I was able to catch up with both fighters to get their respective takes on Friday’s matchup in some Maqdown.com Bonus Coverage.


ALMARAZ ON THE MATCHUP WITH MORTON:

“I’ve seen her fight once in Fresno the day I fought Shanne Ruelas. She’s aggressive and keeps coming at you. I’ve been hearing she’s been getting better everyday, especially with her footwork, so I can’t wait to fight her. Everyone’s been asking me when the fight is, and now it’s here, so I’ll give everything I have. I’ve been working hard for this.”


ALMARAZ ON HER FIGHTING STYLE:

My combinations and power have gotten better, too, and I feel like I’ve been getting stronger every day. My trainer and I have come up with the gameplan, and I know what I need to do on Friday.”


ALMARAZ ON FIGHTING ON A BIGGER STAGE THAN USUAL:

“You have no idea how long I’ve waited for this. I’m ready for this. I’m ready to fight right now. I’ve never fought in front of an audience this big. The BabyFace card in Pacifica was a big card, but nothing like this with 1,500 people.”


MORTON ON THE MATCHUP WITH ALMARAZ:

“I’m really excited to fight her. We’ve been wanting to fight for a long time—nothing personal, it’s just that she’d be a really good opponent. I can’t wait.”


MORTON ON HER FIGHTING STYLE:

“I’ve always had a pressure, come-forward style, and when I came to Eddie, he fixed my feet and helped me be a lot more defensive oriented.”


MORTON ON FIGHTING ON A BIGGER STAGE THAN USUAL:

“It’s amazing. We don’t get the spotlight on amateur boxing a lot, so the glamour, the posters, the interviews, and the big setup at Longshoremen’s Hall is amazing. It’s a privilege to be a part of it.”


For ticket information to tonight’s 16-bout S.F. Amateur Boxing Winter Championships card (Doors open at 6 p.m.), visit BoxingSF.com.


Ryan Maquiñana is the boxing correspondent at Comcast SportsNet Bay Area, a member of the Boxing Writers Association of America, and Ring Magazine’s Ratings Advisory Panel. E-mail him at rmaquinana@gmail.com, check out his blog at www.maqdown.com or follow him on Twitter: @RMaq28.

No comments:

Post a Comment