Follow us on Twitter!

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Vences Advances to Quarterfinals of National PAL


By Ryan Maquiñana

Maqdown.com


San Jose’s Andy Vences had little trouble with Javar Jones of Anderson, Ind., in the round of 16 at the National PAL tournament, winning by wide decision on Tuesday night, 20-7.


“I kept picking my shots the whole fight,” Vences said ringside from Toledo, Ohio. “I wanted to stop him, but I kept my composure and kept boxing him.”


The reigning California Golden Gloves champion at light welterweight (141 pounds), Vences descended nine pounds to lightweight in hopes that his size advantage would pay dividends.


“I felt solid, real strong,” he said. “I noticed a difference right away because my opponents feel smaller and don’t punch as hard with their power shots.”


Now comes a date on Thursday with Sonny Frederickson Jr., who is from Toledo and will enjoy a marked hometown advantage.


“He’s going to have a lot of people supporting him, so I can’t leave any doubt,” Vences said. “Since I have to fight until Saturday if I go all the way, I conserved my energy today. Not for this one. I’m going to put it on him.”


Ryan Maquiñana is the boxing correspondent at Comcast SportsNet Bay Area. He’s a member of the Boxing Writers Association of America and Ring Magazine’s Ratings Advisory Panel. E-mail him at rmaquinana@gmail.com, check out his blog at www.maqdown.com or follow him on Twitter: @RMaq28.

No comments:

Post a Comment