Follow us on Twitter!

Thursday, May 12, 2011

A Baby-faced Destroyer: Introducing Matt Villanueva

By Ryan Maquiñana
MaxBoxing.com

Last August, I stood in the locker room of the CBB Arena in Ontario interviewing Chris Arreola after his win over Manuel Quezada when a familiar voice boomed behind me.


“The favors Goossen Tutor does for me, Matt,” ribbed Joe Goossen. “You get to headline the show and fight last.”


As I peered over my shoulder, the famed Southern California trainer calmed his anxious fighter, Matt Villanueva, a 23-year-old whose pensive expression made him look more suitable for a college chemistry classroom than a boxing ring.


I soon threw my misconception out the window when the super flyweight shook off the delay to his swing bout and proceeded to thrash Alejo Guzman inside two rounds behind a left hook that echoed upon impact.


“I get that sometimes,” said Villanueva, who has since run his record to 5-0 (5) and now faces Frank Gutierrez, 2-9-2 (1), on this Saturday’s undercard leading up to Andre Ward vs. Arthur Abraham. “I threw jabs at him and came at him with a really strong right. Then it just happened. It’s nice to show people my aggression when they’re expecting my boxing skills.”


READ MORE: http://www.maxboxing.com/news/promo-lead/a-baby-faced-destroyer-introducing-matt-villanueva

No comments:

Post a Comment